We have this thing in our family about serving veggies in an oil and vinegar dressing. Broccoli, Italian green beans, brussels sprouts, beets, corn, white radishes, and baby potatoes are just some of the dishes that we drench in oil and vinegar dressing instead of melted butter or cheese. Sometimes we serve veggies in oil and vinegar as an appetizer. Green beans in potato salad makes for a great side dish for summer meals. I like to serve this dish when we grill burgers or dogs. It’s easier here in Florida to bring veggies dressed in oil and vinegar to a cookout then mayonnaise based salads.
Use small red or white potatoes to make green beans in potato salad. I used baby Dutch potatoes today, but fingerlings, petite potatoes, or quartered red potatoes are good substitutes. The goal is to keep the potato whole and unpeeled, so smaller is better. Half or quarter the potatoes if larger than bite size. Chopped red onion gives the dish both flavor and color. Use fresh green beans and break into two or three pieces before adding to the salad. Finely minced garlic or a 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic or garlic powder is a tasty addition. I like the flavor of the red onion, so I normally don’t add the garlic.
To cook the potatoes and green beans, generously salt a pot of boiling water. Cook the beans in boiling water for about 3 minutes. Remove the beans from the boiling water and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until fork tender.
To keep the veggies from absorbing salt while cooking, and to make this dish lower in sodium, steam both the beans and the potatoes then add a pinch or two of salt when making the dressing.
Green beans in potato salad is best served chilled.
Green Beans in Potato Salad
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 lb baby Dutch yellow potatoes
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Wash and clean potatoes. Boil in generously salted water until tender. rain; cool to room temperature.
- Wash and trim green beans; break into two or three pieces. Steam or boil green beans in slightly salted water until slightly tender but not too soft. rain; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add cooled green beans, potatoes, and onion; add oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and toss until vegetables are coated with dressing. Serve chilled.
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and buy the product, I will receive a very small commission of the sales price at no cost to you.