It’s that time of year when squash and root vegetables abound. Butternut squash signals the beginning of cooler weather and that means a new season of hot soups and stews. Roasted butternut squash soup is at the top of my list along with roasted white pumpkin soup and chocolate chili.
This is a vegan recipe for roasted butternut squash soup. I use a homemade vegetable stock made with carrots, assorted bell peppers, celery, onions, and fresh sage leaves. I also add a bay leaf or two, and fresh green beans, if they’re in season. The stock becomes more flavorful the longer it simmers. While the vegetable stock is simmering, I prepare and roast the butternut squash. The outer skin on butternut squash is hard, and it can be difficult to peel. I usually slice the squash in half, then I slice the halves in two or more pieces. This makes it easier to peel. You can also buy fresh butternut squash already peeled and cubed in most markets.
When the stock is ready, I remove the cooked vegetables except for the carrots. I toss in the roasted butternut squash, then I puree the soup until it’s smooth. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes until it’s heated through and the roasted butternut squash and vegetable stock has melded. We like to top of roasted butternut squash soup with a few homemade seasoned croutons.
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound yellow, orange, green, and yellow bell peppers
- 1 pound onions
- 1 stalk celery with leaves
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeded
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Roughly cut peppers, onions, celery branches, and carrots. Add vegetables to large sauce pot with fresh sage leaves, bay leaves, 8 cups of water, and one tablespoon of salt. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from heat and cool.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel squash and cut into cubes. Toss with olive oil and turn out on large baking sheet. Lightly salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the stock, leaving the carrots. Add the roasted squash to the broth and puree using an immersion blender. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper as desired. Served with seasoned croutons.