Here’s an old recipe for old fashion soft molasses cookies. These cookies are soft and the texture is more like that of a cake than a crisp cookie. They’re guaranteed to make all of your house smell like gingerbread. These cookies are highly addictive, so don’t be surprised if you sample more than one while they’re cooling.
Old Fashion Soft Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt. Dissolve soda in hot water.
- Mix shortening, sugar, molasses, and egg until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture alternately with cold water; then mix in soda.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2" apart, onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10 minutes. Cool on racks before storing.