I love to cook with my grand kids. We usually have loads of fun, and we make big messes (see my post on Especially Dark Chocolate Ice Cream). Like most kids, veggies and other healthy foods are not among the things they love to eat. If they don’t like what I’m cooking, then they usually don’t ask to help. They usually don’t eat it either, that is, without lots of bribery and trickery. But they do love scrambled eggs. They love to make them, too.
Thanks to the folks at Eggland’s Best Eggs, my grand kids and I are going to whip up a kid-approved recipe using scrambled eggs as the key ingredients. We’re going to bake them in a muffin pan. It reminds the kids of cupcakes (a favorite), and we’ll make them colorful by adding chopped vegetables. Ham and cheese are usually kid-approved, so we’ll add them along with a few diced potatoes. Don’t forget to check out the giveaway below, after the recipe. You can enter for a chance to win a $25 Visa gift card and two coupons for Egglands’ Best Eggs.
Did you know that Eggland’s Best Eggs are packed fresher and stay fresher than ordinary eggs? By using Eggland’s Best Eggs in everything from breakfasts, afterschool snacks to tasty desserts, it’s easy to sneak in key nutrients that will keep kids energized, focused, and strong. Here are more important facts about Eggland’s Best Eggs:
- They contain more than double the omega-3s, which studies have found may boost attention in kids under 12
- They have ten times the vitamin E, a key antioxidant for strong immunity
- They pack four times the vitamin D, helping the body absorb calcium for strong bones
- They have only 60 calories while ordinary eggs have 70
- They contain 25% less saturated fat
- They taste great
To make kid-approved scrambled egg bakes, you first need to gather kids and ingredients. Because I wanted the kids to make this mostly by themselves, I took the semi-homemade approach. I bought packaged chopped, cooked ham, unseasoned frozen breakfast potatoes, freshly packaged diced onion and diced bell peppers. I diced a semi-soft tasty cheese, Port-Salut. We used a dozen Eggland’s Best Eggs, a bit of heavy cream, and seasoning. I sprayed the pan with cooking spray, and I baked them.
Have the kids start by adding a single layer of frozen potatoes to the bottom of each muffin cup. Add a layer of ham, vegetables, and cheese. Whisk the eggs, cream, and seasonings together, then carefully fill each muffin cup. Bake until eggs are set and slightly firm. Once the Kid-Approved Scrambled Egg Bakes are removed from the oven, let them cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. They look like scrambled egg cupcakes, a shape the kids love.
You can learn more about Eggland’s Best Eggs by checking out the Eggland’s Best Facebook page, Eggland’s Best Twitter page, Eggland’s Best Pinterest page, and Eggland’s Best Instagram page. Follow them and keep up with the latest news and events.
- 12 Eggland's Best Eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- ¾ cup diced ham
- ½ cup diced bell peppers
- ½ cup tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup semi-soft cheese, cubed
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of each muffin cup with a single layer of potatoes. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of ham, 1 teaspoon of peppers, 1 teaspoon of tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of onion, and 3 cheese cubes to each muffin cup.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and two or three dashes of cayenne pepper. Whisk until blended. Pour egg mixture over each muffin cup until full.
- Bake at 350 degrees until eggs are set and slightly firm, about 18-22 minutes. Remove from heat. Let rest for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- $25 Visa Gift Card to create “Kid-Approved” Eggland’s Best egg recipes
- Two coupons, each valid for a free carton of Eggland’s Best Eggs
Leave a comment and tell me about your favorite kid-approved egg recipe using Eggland’s Best Eggs (U.S. residents only). Contest ends on October 10, 2014.
Disclaimer: The Eggland’s Best Information, coupons, gift card, and additional gift pack have been provided by Eggland’s Best.