31 Days of Halloween – Day 30
Of all the possible cookies variations, I think sugar cookies are my favorite. I like them plain or dusted lightly with sugar. My grandson asked me to make Halloween pumpkin sugar cookies for his school party tomorrow. He also wanted them iced and decorated to the tee, he said, complete with a face. These cookies are sweet enough without added decoration; I managed to talk him into adding just a bit of Halloween orange icing as decoration. The recipe makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies, but some of the dough was sacrificed to the whims of a four-year old. It will take a week to scrub the cookie dough off my floor tile and grout.
Halloween Pumpkin Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wilton orange cookie icing
- pumpkin shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in egg and extracts; mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture. Beat until well-blended.
- Shape dough into a ball. Lightly flour board and rolling-pin. Roll dough to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut-out cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light brown around the edges. Cool completely on rack. Decorate with icing.
Adapted from Wilton's recipe for sugar cookies.