I’ve had this hankering lately for peanut butter cookies. I thought my daughter was going to make a batch or two the other day. She didn’t, and the bag of peanut butter chips looked mighty tempting. I stared at them for about a week. Every time I opened the cabinet, there they were, a partly opened bag of peanut butter chips, staring back at me, waiting to be eaten. Yesterday, I was stuck in the house with my husband, grand kids, and dogs. My husband babbled for hours (seemed that way) about how he fixed the dual monitor problem with his computer. The kids had a school holiday and were full of energy. I walked out on my back porch and found several kitchen utensils strung together with my Halloween yarn then hung from the porch ceiling like wind chimes. The dogs, stretched out like bear rugs, were snoring. Seemed like a good time to make cookies. Baking is therapy, right?
My husband and grandson won’t eat plain peanut butter cookies, and I don’t like chocolate chip cookies unless they’re packed with other goodies (that’s right, I don’t like chocolate chip cookies). The compromise was to make a few dozen chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies and with walnuts, too. Who can resist peanut butter chips and large chunks of chocolate in one cookie? And the nuts. Without nuts of some kind—walnuts, pecans, or almonds—cookies just aren’t cookies.
This recipe for chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies calls for a large cookie scoop, one that holds about 3 tablespoons of cookie dough. The cookies take a little longer to bake, but they are well worth the wait. Two or three warm and chewy chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies and a tall glass of ice-cold milk is heavenly. When I got home from shopping today, I noticed the cookie jar was down to less than a dozen. This means my daughter or husband, or my daughter and husband, or just one of them ate nearly three dozen cookies. No point in asking about the cookies. Neither will confess. I can only imagine what happened to them.
Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth, Add vanilla, and eggs, one at a time, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Combine the dry mixture with the batter, then add chocolate, walnuts, and peanut butter chips.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop cookie dough on baking sheet about 2" apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies a slightly brown.