Split Pea Soup Recipe
My mother in-law used both ham hocks and chopped ham in her recipe, and she did not use carrots. I prefer not to use the ham hocks.
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup celery diced (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 carrot sliced (optional)
- 2 ham hocks optional
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 quarts water
Sort, rinse, and soak green peas in 2 quarts water for several hours. Drain peas and rinse well.
In a large saucepot, add remaining ingredients and 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a simmer, and skim foam of the top of the soup as needed, until it stops (about 5 minutes). Cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.