I was undecided yesterday about what I should bake. It was a toss-up between chocolate chip cookies and something made with peanut butter. Chocolate chips won over peanut butter (I caved). Then I couldn’t decide if I was going to make plain chocolate chip cookies or something with a little more umph. Tough decisions.
I finally settled on White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. It took me awhile to convince my grand-daughter that I wasn’t trying to trick her out of her precious chocolate by using white chocolate chips. She was fairly convinced the white chocolate chips would work after she nibbled on a few of them. (I’m no fool—I did wait until she left the kitchen before I stealthy mixed in the chopped walnuts.)
I’m not a big fan of white chocolate, but they do go well with the dark chocolate chips and the chopped walnuts. White chocolate is made from cocoa butter, milk, sugar, and flavorings. I find that it doesn’t really have a distinct flavor and it often seems overly sweet. My favorite chocolate is dark chocolate combined with chopped walnuts or pecans. These two ingredients make the best cookie flavor combinations, especially when they’re part of a warm chewy cookie.
To make the White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies, I start with Hershey’s Perfect Special Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I reduce the dark chocolate chips by one cup, then I add a cup of white chocolate chips and 1-1/2 cups of roughly chopped walnuts. I also use unsalted butter when I bake, if possible. I use a large cookie scoop, too, so that the cookies are just the right size.
Munching on a couple of warm cookies and sipping an ice-cold glass of milk is definitely an all time high. The best part, I think, is the overwhelming aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies slowly making its way through the house.
White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla with mixer until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add in flour and mix well. Stir in dark and white chocolate chips and nuts.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop cookie dough about 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks. Cool completely.
I linked up to these wonderful parties.