31 Days of Halloween – Day 17
Another one of dad’s Halloween recipes, venom-cello. It’s based on his recipe for limoncello. There’s not a month or two left before Halloween, but you can still get that limoncello taste (and effect) by shortening the soaking time of the lemons in the grain alcohol. We say the longer the better, but I know a few folks who soak the lemons anywhere from one day up to a week.
Join Amazon Prime – Watch Over 40,000 Movies
- 12 lemons
- 4 cups grain alcohol 75.5% alcohol/vol, 151 proof
- 4 cups sugar
- 5 cups water
- Decorative spiders
- Scrub the lemons with a vegetable brush, wash, and pat dry. Peel the lemons using a potato peeler, taking care not to get any of the white with the peel. (The white pith will make the liquid bitter.)
- Put peels in a large jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add the alcohol. Close tightly and set in a cool, dark place (free from sunlight) for 40 days.
- When the 40 days are up, remove the lemon peels and strain the mixture through cheesecloth 2 or 3 times until the liquid is clear.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a simmer. Heat until sugar completely dissolves and is clear. Let cool. Add the infused alcohol. Store in the freezer until ready to serve.