31 Days of Halloween – Day 1
Vampire Poke Cake is a throwback to the late 1970’s Jell-O recipes (I have a fairly substantial collection of these recipes). When I saw the photo in one of my many Halloween recipe magazines, I just had to make it. It’s definitely creepy. The red strawberry Jell-O juxtaposed against the white cake and the red decorating gel drizzled on the white frosting most certainly creates the blood splatter effect that gives this cake its name.
The cake is tasty and moist, and it’s easy to make. Start with a white box cake mix (with pudding in the mix), one box of red Jell-O (I used strawberry, but raspberry, cherry, or watermelon will work too), one container of fluffy white whipped frosting, and two tubes of red decorating gel. Make the cake according to the instructions given on the box. Bake, then cool in pan for about 20 minutes.
Poke holes in the cake using a wooden skewer. Make the Jell-O and pour it over the cake, allowing the Jell-O to fill in the holes. Cool completely. Frost the cake, then drizzle with red decorating gel. Store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
It’s definitely a crowd pleaser. Hide a little slice for yourself to savor once the party crowd is gone. There won’t be any leftovers.
Vampire Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 box 1 lb 2.25 oz white cake mix with pudding
- Water vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 box 4-serving size strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 container fluffy white whipped ready-to-spread frosting
- 2 tubes 0.68 oz each red decorating gel
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pane with cooking spray. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan, using water, oil and egg whites. Cool in pan on cooling rack 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Poke warm cake every inch with wooden skewer halfway into cake, twisting skewer back and forth. Pour gelatin over cake, allowing gelatin to fill in holes. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost cake with frosting. Drizzle red decorating gel over frosting. Store covered in refrigerator.