I love cabbage of all types regardless of how it’s prepared. Stuffed cabbage leaves is one of those recipes that my mom has made for years—50 of them to be exact! They’re really quite simple to make, and the meat and sauce combination really showcases the tender cabbage leaves. We usually serve the stuffed leaves with mashed potatoes using the sauce that cabbage leaves are cooked in as gravy.
Stuffed Cabbage Leaves Recipe
- 8-10 large cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1½ cups beef broth
- Cook cabbage leaves just until they are tender enough to fold, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from water, cool and pat dry.
- Combine ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, egg and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place equal portions of meat in center of cabbage leaf. Fold sides of leaf over meat and roll up. Secure with a tooth pick if needed. Place in a baking dish or heavy skillet, open side down.
- Combine the tomato paste, beef broth, and salt (to taste). Mix well and pour over cabbage rolls. Bake in a pre-heated 350°F degree oven for 1 hour. Another cooking method is to simmer on stove top for 1 hour. Serve with the extra sauce.