Here’s a recipe for recycling leftover mashed potatoes. To make potato cakes, start with leftover mashed potatoes (cold potatoes work best). Add bread crumbs, a bit of parmesan cheese, and a little dried sage. Coat the potato cakes in the bread crumbs, then fry in the hot olive oil. They’re quite good, and you can change-up the dried seasonings and cheese for an altogether different flavor. Try chopped jalapeno and Monterey jack cheese for a Mexican flavor or a little garlic and Romano for Italian style potato cakes. Chopped green onion, a little white pepper, and a spoonful of sour cream makes a good baked potato cake.
Potato Cakes Recipe
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs for breading
- Put the mashed potatoes, 2/3 cup of bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and fresh sage in a bowl and mix well. Roll into six balls and then roll the balls in the 2/3 cup of bread crumbs, then flatten out.
- Using about half of the olive oil, fry the potatoes, (three at a time) for about two to three minutes on each side or until brown and heated through. Repeat with the other three potato cakes.