My dad grew up eating Manhattan clam chowder, and it’s one of his favorites. In this version of the popular chowder, he adds crushed red pepper to give it a hearty kick.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 slices of bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1½ pounds quahogs minced
- 2-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2-14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 6 medium potatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt pepper to taste
- 3 cups clam juice
- 3 cups water
- In a large stock pot, sauté bacon; add canned tomatoes and clams together with water and clam juice in with cooked bacon.
- Add dried oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and onion powder. Stir until blended. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.