As a rule, we don’t cook canned or frozen vegetables unless there are extenuating circumstances (like a hurricane). One day several years ago, mom happened to see this box of frozen green beans while she was shopping in Winn Dixie. She was captivated by the “Italian” in the Italian green beans, and felt compelled to buy them with little regard for our sacred “no canned or frozen” rule. Since that fateful day in Winn Dixie, mom’s fixed these beans often and prepared them with her famous olive oil and vinegar dressing that’s a big hit on brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. She serves the bean salad at room temperature, but I like to chill the beans before I toss them with the dressing.
Italian Green Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 pound frozen Italian green beans
- 2 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium size saucepot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add ½ teaspoon salt, then add the frozen green beans.
- Return beans to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and cool.
- In a medium size bowl, add onion, beans, and garlic powder. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Toss the beans until coated.