When my dad was growing up, his mom often prepared two different dishes for dinner. One dish was for the family; the other was prepared especially for his dad, Pasquale. Veal in hot and spicy sauce was one of his favorites. The sauce is good with pasta, but my grandfather dipped chunks of Italian bread in a bowl of sauce.
This is my dad’s recipe for veal in hot and spicy sauce. It’s not exactly like his mother’s dish, but it’s just as delicious.
Hot and Spicy Veal Sauce for Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound veal cut into cubes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 cups water
- 2 six ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium size saucepan and add garlic cloves. Once garlic is browned, remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Add one can of tomato paste and eight cups of water and blend together. Bring to a boil. Add second can of tomato paste and mix. Add all other ingredients including the sautéed garlic. Crush the garlic before adding to sauce. Mix well.
- Add the veal and cook on low heat for 2-2 ½ hours or until veal is tender; the water reduces and the sauce thickens slightly. Adjust salt and pepper.