Here’s a fun and easy Halloween sugar cookie recipe that doesn’t require the use of cookie cutters. To make Dem Bones, shape the dough into bones by pressing dough into Wilton Nonstick Bone Cookie Pan, or create bones by shaping small amounts of dough by hand. For lighter bones, bake for 10 minutes; for older looking bones, bake for 12 minutes or lightly dust cooled cookies with cinnamon or nutmeg. Change the color of the bones by adding one or two drops of food color to butter and sugar mixture (a dab of black color will give the bones an old, gray, aged look). Once cooled, these perfect cookies can also be frosted and decorated, or dipped in melted chocolate (white or dark) and cooled. For variety, slightly tear or break in pieces hot cookies for that broken bone look. Crush a bag of Oreo cookies, pour in serving bowl, and partly hide bone fragments for effect. I should warn you; Dem Bones are awfully addictive.
Dem Bones Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bone cookie pan optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray pan cavities with vegetable pan spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg and extracts; mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture. Beat until well blended. Press dough into cavities, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown around edges. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn pan over; lightly tap to remove cookies. Cool completely on cooling grid. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.