My mom grew up on a farm in the hills of Eastern Tennessee. Her family grew okra every summer, and they served it fried every day along with an abundance of fresh vegetables. Okra is mom’s favorite vegetable, and, as you might guess, she likes it fried.
Country Fried Okra
- 2 pounds okra cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1½ cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1-2 cups of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the okra. Cut the ends off and then cut each pod into one-two inch pieces.
- Prepare the flour, eggs, and corn meal. Season each with salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat the okra with the flour. Next, add the okra to the eggs. Remove a little at a time and coat with the corn meal.
- Lay the okra on a baking sheet and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more. For frying, start with about one half cup of oil. Add more oil as needed. Fry on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Check seasoning before taking out of pan. Drain fried okra on paper towels for one or two minutes before serving.