We lived in Germany twice: Erlangen in 1968 and Heidelberg in the early 1970s. We loved German food especially schnitzel and pommes, and, naturally, all of their awesome pastries. This is my mom’s spin on German potato salad. It doesn’t have the bacon or caraway seeds like the German version. Instead, she uses cucumber, onion, extra virgin olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
Baby Potato Salad
- 15-20 baby potatoes
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt plus salt and pepper to taste
- Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Wash potatoes and cut in half. Place in a pot, cover with water, and add ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 12 minutes). Remove from heat, drain and put into a bowl to cool.
- Dice the onion and cucumber and add to the potatoes, then add the vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the parsley. Serve at room temperature.