I stock piled several bottles of Valentine colored sprinkles, so I didn’t mind too much as I watched the kids eat more sprinkles than they put on the cookies—and they put a lot! The rest was on the floor. While it took me several hours to clean up the millions of tiny red and pink candy sprinkles that covered my floor and counter, the kids had a fun time decorating the cookies. The cookies were pretty, too.
The recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies, if you cut them out around 1/4-inch thick each. The frosting recipe is also enough for 5 dozen cookies. I usually put about a teaspoon per cookie, really just enough to catch and hold the candy sprinkles.
The kids loved the cookies. My granddaughter licked the sprinkles and frosting until the bare light-colored sugar cookie was exposed. She stacked them neatly when she was done, stripped of all decoration. My grandson stacked his too, but he ate cookie and all.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
- candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and sour cream. Mix in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out dough to a ¼-inch thickness using a generous amount of flour. Cut out shapes and bake on parchment lined cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth.
- Add vanilla. Add milk a little at a time until frosting is smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Add a few drops of food color, if desired. Decorate with candy sprinkles.
SHARED AT: Mon Busy Monday, Inspiration Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Inspiration Gallery, Monday Handmade, Off the Hook, Metamorphosis Monday; Tues Love from the Kitchen, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party, Treasure Box Tuesday, Create Link Inspire, Two Cup Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesday, Simple Supper Tuesday; Wed Whimsy Wednesday, Moonlight & Mason Jars, What’s Cookin Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Wednesday Roundup, Whatever Goes Wednesday; Thur Create It Thursday, Showcase Your Talent, Share Your Cup Thursday, Favorite Things, It’s A Party, Brilliant Blog Posts, Arsty Fartsy Linky Party, The Handmade Hangout; Fri Best of the Weekend, Craft Frenzy Friday,Flaunt It Friday, Foodie Friday & Everything Else, Weekend Retreat, Freedom Fridays, Friday Frenzy, Pretty Pintastic Party, Awesome Life Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, DIY Inspired; Sat My Favorite Things Saturday, Super Saturday, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Night Fever, Show Me Saturdays; Sun Share Your Creativity, Think Pink Sunday, Snickerdoodle Sunday,