This stock recipe can be made with either shrimp or crab. I combine the two whenever I’m making stock for Seafood Gumbo.
Seafood Stock Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds shrimp with shells
- 8 blue crab cleaned (about 2 pounds)
- 1 package crawfish shrimp, and crab boil in a bag (3 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 quarts water
- Clean the shrimp by removing the heads, tails, and shells. Reserve shrimp for another use.
- In a large kettle, add oil and heat on low. Add shrimp shells, heads, and tails. Over low heat, sweat the shells until they turn pink. Add onions and celery, and sauté until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce medium heat. Cover, and let cook for about an hour. Strain the stock using a cheese cloth to remove shrimp shells. Remove the spice bag before using, and adjust salt.
Yields about 8 quarts.