31 Days of Halloween – Day 5
Old Fashion Ginger Beer Recipe
I found this recipe in one of this year’s Halloween recipe collections, and it looked so refreshing that I had to try it. Old Fashion Ginger Beer is made with fresh ginger, honey, lemons, and a small bit of orange and sugar. The combination of honey and ginger not only makes for a good drink, but it also has health benefits like treating the common cold, soothing a sore throat, and improving digestion.
Old Fashion Ginger Beer
- 4 lemons
- 1 orange
- 3/4 cup fresh ginger peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 cups sparkling mineral water chilled
- crushed ice
- orange slices
- Grate 2 tablespoons of zest from lemons and orange. Set orange and one lemon aside. Squeeze 1/3 cup lemon juice from remaining 3 lemons. Set juice aside.
- Pulse ginger, sugar, and honey in a food processor just until combined; spoon into a pitcher. Add orange and lemon zests and boiling water; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cool to room temperature. Stir in lemon juice and orange juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 5 days. Strain before serving.
- Thinly slice remaining lemon and orange; add to pitcher. Stir in sparkling water. Serve over ice. Garnish with orange slices, if desired.
Recipe NotesSource: Gooseberry Patch Best Halloween Treats, 2013.