Oatmeal coconut cherry chip nut cookies is what I decided to make first thing this morning. Not that baking was on my list of things to do today. I had plenty to do. I had the flu last week, so while I was down for the count, my husband got out of the attic every single box of Christmas decorations we own. Every room in my house is filled with Christmas decorations of sorts—all waiting for me to unpack and find somewhere to put them. Every year I tell Fred that we’re going to take our time repacking decorations so that we can throw out those we haven’t used in years. It never happens. This year, while I’m surrounded by mounds of Christmas ornaments, dozens of singing stuffed toys, and near life-size nutcrackers, I’m thinking about baking cookies. I might even snuggle up in a warm blanky and watch the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen.
I really didn’t have a cookie that I was particularly interested in this morning. Just before I woke up, I dreamt of something chewy and soft—but not too sweet—and filled with fruit and nuts. Since I didn’t have anything particular in mind, I made up a recipe while I was drinking my morning coffee. While I was savoring my coffee and dreaming of cookies, Dominic and Simone broke at least a dozen Christmas ornaments, including some of my favorites. They were sorry they said, while they climbed over each other trying to grab the next box of decorations. I left the shattered bulbs and headed to the kitchen. I started with oatmeal, then added coconut and tart cherries. I can’t imagine cookies without nuts, and my husband wanted chocolate: oatmeal coconut cherry chip nut cookies.
We ate several cookies each while they were still on the racks cooling. I won’t say how many, but I think it’s going to be a challenging holiday season. My husband went back and forth to the kitchen several times, complaining about eating too many cookies. The kids have almost every box open and emptied. It’s time for a second cup of coffee.
Oatmeal Coconut Cherry Chip Nut Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour mixture; mix well.
- Add oats, coconut, walnuts, cherry, and chocolate chips.
- Shape cookies using a large cookie scoop; place cookies about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until cookies are light brown. Let cookies set for about 1 minute before removing to wire racks.