31 Days of Halloween – Day 2
A sweet treat for day 2 of ONO’s 31 days of Halloween. We’re going to be fat by October 31.
Monster Mash Cookies Recipe
I found this recipe last year in one of my many Halloween recipe magazines. I didn’t get the chance to make them last year, but I’ve thought about them since then (who thinks of Halloween recipes all year?). I finally made them this weekend, and they’re larger than what I imagined. One cookie, I think, is too much for me. If I make them again, I’ll either make one pizza-size cookie, or I’ll reduce them until they’re about the size of a regular cookie. Monster Mash Cookies are definitely kid pleasers (and adults who are hooked on Halloween). Change the color of the candy-coated chocolate candies and make these cookies for any holiday.
Monster Mash Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups candy-coated chocolate candies
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes or until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and candies.
- Onto cookie sheets, drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls about 4 inches apart.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely; about 30 minutes.
Source: your best ever Halloween: 159 recipes and tips for food, parties & fun. Pillsbury, Volume 22, Number 4, 2012.