Mom’s bell peppers are stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, onion, eggs, and seasoned breadcrumbs. Then she tops them with a mixture of ketchup and balsamic vinegar, and bakes them in a little olive oil.
Sometimes for variety, I add a half cup of cooked rice to the meat mixture (that’s code for making a little meat go along way). Try using orange, yellow, or red sweet bell peppers for spin on the classic stuffed bell pepper. Make the stuffed peppers more Italian-like by adding raisins and toasted pine nuts (pignoli) to the meat mixture before baking.
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Clean out the seeds and wash the peppers. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the ground beef, grated onion, eggs, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of ketchup, salt and pepper. Fill the pepper halves with the mixture.
- Combine the ½ cup ketchup and balsamic vinegar. Brush each pepper half with the mixture. Baste the peppers again after 30 minutes of baking.
- Put the olive oil in a baking dish or pan and then place the peppers in the pan. Bake for about 45 minutes to one hour.