My dad grew up eating Manhattan clam chowder, and it’s one of his favorites. In this version of the popular chowder, he adds crushed red pepper to give it a hearty kick.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 slices of bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1½ pounds quahogs minced
- 2-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2-14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 6 medium potatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt pepper to taste
- 3 cups clam juice
- 3 cups water
In a large stock pot, sauté bacon; add canned tomatoes and clams together with water and clam juice in with cooked bacon.
Add dried oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and onion powder. Stir until blended. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add vegetables; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.