Clams are probably my favorite all time food. I can eat them all the time, and prepared just about any way. One of my favorite dishes is linguine with clam sauce. White sauce is my favorite, but linguine with red clam sauce is delicious too. This recipe is, of course, best with fresh clams, but canned clams are a good substitute. Add an extra pinch of red pepper flakes or seeds to give it that Neapolitan touch.
Linguine with Red Clam Sauce Recipe
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 6 ½ ounce cans minced clams
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 7 ounce diced tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound dried linguine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Drain clams, reserving juice. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened and lightly brown. Do not over cook garlic; it will burn. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for a few seconds more. Add the clam juice, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, and the herbs. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce pot bring 3 quarts of generously salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Drain well.
- During the last five minutes of cooking of the pasta stir the clams into the red sauce. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour pasta on a platter and cover with clam sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.