One of my favorite dishes is the ultimate comfort food. Italian sausage, peppers, and onions served on a chunk of fresh Italian bread is one of my all-time favorites. In my dad’s version of Italian sausage and peppers, mini sweet peppers replace the traditional red and green bells, tomatoes replace the onion, and the whole thing is served on small hard rolls.
Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Mini Sweet Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds mini sweet peppers
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 5 or 6 Italian sausage links cut in half
- 10-12 hard rolls
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil. Cook the sausage in oil over medium-high heat until brown. When the sausage is done, remove from pan and reserve. Add garlic cloves, and sauté until lightly brown. Remove garlic from pan.
- Add peppers to the saucepan; sauté until tender. Slice browned garlic cloves into thin slices and add to saucepan.
- Add tomatoes, herbs, tomato paste, crushed red peppers, water, wine, and salt. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked sausage to the tomato-pepper mixture. Adjust salt as needed. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes longer.
- Serve on hard rolls.