So what if it’s a day or two after Christmas! It’s not too late to bake Christmas cookies. Once again, I bought all of the stuff I needed to bake mega dozens of cookies, but didn’t bake a one before Christmas Day. Today, I spent most of the day baking cookies, and I don’t plan to finish before the weekend (that’s a lot of cookies). First on the list today: Italian Butter Cookies. These cookies are mildly sweet and the green and red sun-ripe cherry halves (glazed with corn syrup) makes them so festive. These cookies are usually made by filling a pastry bag with the dough and piping it through a star tip. I cheated and used a cookie press so these don’t look like the typical cherry topped Italian Butter Cookies. Still delicious.
Available now on Amazon.com: Italian Cookie Recipes – 10 Delicious Homemade Italian Christmas Cookie Recipes
Italian Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- green and red sun-ripe cherries cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- With mixer on low-speed, slowly add flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt. Mix on low until ingredients are combined. Don't over mix the dough. It will become sticky and thin, and it will be difficult to shape cookies.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with dough. Pipe cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet, spacing evenly, about 2 inches apart. Press a cherry half in the center of each cookie.
- Bake until cookies are firm and the edges are lightly brown, about 10-13 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
For a sweeter cookie, increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and buy the product, I will receive a very small commission of the sales price at no cost to you.