A roundup of family Italian American Easter recipes by Olives-n-Okra. The recipes below are mostly dishes we make on Good Friday or Easter Sunday with the exception of zeppole. Not all of our recipes made during Lent and Easter are currently posted, so check back for Volume 2.
Volume 1 of Italian American Easter Recipe Roundup includes these 8 recipes:
1. Saint Joseph’s Day Zeppole – One of many dishes prepared for the Feast of Saint Joseph. Zeppole pastry can be baked or deep-fried, then filled with a custard cream or whipped cream filling.
2. Rice Pies – Thick rice custard baked in a sweet pie crust.
3. Spaghetti with Anchovies – Don’t scoff. Anchovies are awesome! This tasty dish is served on meatless Fridays, especially Good Friday.
4. Ricotta Cheesecake – A thick, creamy cheesecake made with whole milk ricotta.
5. Italian Easter Sweet Bread – It’s not Easter without sweet bread. I like it sliced then dipped in hot black coffee laced with Sambuca.
6. Oven Baked Chicken and Potatoes – My grandmother always made baked chicken and potatoes for every holiday. It helped feed the masses.
7. Pasteria Napoletana – A traditional Easter pie that originated in Naples. Orange flower water gives this pie its unique yet delicious flavor.
8. Pizza Rustica – A savory pie made with Italian cheeses and meats. It’s usually made a day or two ahead of time.
I shared this roundup at these wonderful parties.