31 Days of Halloween – Day 3
Definitely more sweets 🙂
My sister in-law made these a couple of years ago and brought them to our Halloween party. They were a big hit, and I’ve wanted to make them ever since. They made the 31 Days of Halloween list this year (my list of 31 Halloween recipes). I think the combination of oats and chocolate make this bar delish, but when I make them again I plan to add a dollop or two of peanut butter. If not peanut butter, then perhaps I’ll try Reese’s pieces instead of the Fall colored M&Ms. One big plus about this recipe is that you can substitute the color of the chocolate pieces to compliment the holiday (red and green for Christmas, red and blue for July fourth, pastels for Easter).
Halloween Goody Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 6 ounces
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 3/4 cup orange and brown candy-coated chocolate candies
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and 1 cup butter with spoon. Stir in pecans. Remove 1 cup; set aside for topping. Press remaining mixture in pan.
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook condensed milk, chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Spread chocolate mixture over crust. Sprinkle with candies and reserved oat mixture; press into chocolate mixture.
- Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 2 1/2 hours. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
Recipe NotesSource: Betty Crocker Fall Baking, Oct/Nov 2010 No. 257.