The tinted fingernails make these pecan cookies a big hit at any Halloween party. Leave the fingernails untinted for an eerie, natural look.
Frightful Finger Cookies
- Blanched almonds
- Red or black food coloring
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground pecans
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Tint almonds with food coloring.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt; beat until well blended. Add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans. (Dough should be stiff.)
- Shape dough by tablespoonfuls into finger shapes about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter; place on prepared cookie sheets. Lightly score with knife across center and near top to resemble knuckles. Press tinted almond into top of each "finger" for "nail".
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.