I picked up this Freaky Monster Cupcake Kit at Target today. The pictures on the front of the box looked so cute, I couldn’t resist. These turned out to be fun cupcakes to make with the kids. They love decorating the monster faces and snacking on the decorating candy while they work. It took a good hour to clean up the orange and purple frosting that was on the floor and cabinets, but it was worth it. I will say that I can’t recall ever buying a baking kit and having the baked goods turn out like the photos on the box. This was no exception, but the kids didn’t know. They’re so ugly that I love them. The cupcakes, not the kids.
Freaky Monsters Cupcakes Recipe
- 12 chocolate cupakes in Halloween baking liners
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- orange and purple food color
- black gel icing
- candy eyes
- candy corn
- Using an electric mixer, beat 4 tablespoons of butter on high for one 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar and one or two drops of purple food color and beat on low until combined. Add more food color, if necessary, until the color is dark. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and beat on high until reaching the desired consistency adding more milk if necessary. Repeat steps to make orange frosting.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes (six purple and six oranage). Decorate with candy eyes, candy corn, and black icing.
Make your creatures appear furry by dragging a fork through frosting before adding other features.