Now that summer is over, kick off the autumn baking season with these vintage Date Walnut Macaroon Cookies. I found this recipe in one of the cookbooks in my vintage collection of how to books. This classic cookie is made without flour. It’s filled with sweet coconut, chopped dates, and walnut pieces and held together with sweetened condensed milk. The milk also gives the cookie a chewy texture.
Date Walnut Macaroon Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup shredded sweet coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Add ingredients to a medium bowl and mix together with a spoon. Drop by teaspoonfuls on to prepared cookie sheet, about 1-inch apart. Cookies will expand slightly while banking.
- Bake cookies until the bottom and sides are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely before serving. The warm cookies are slightly sticky to the touch.
Recipe NotesRecipe circa 1940.