Chocolate coconut candy is one of our favorite home-made candies. These are quick and easy to make, and they disappear rather quickly. We use Hershey’s mildly sweet dark chocolate chips (special dark) instead of semi-sweet chocolate. It’s not as sweet as semi-sweet chocolate, but the sweetness of the coconut center makes up for it. I like to melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler instead of the microwave, but either method will do. Be warned: These chocolates are highly addictive.
Chocolate Coconut Candy Recipe
- 2 cups sweet shredded coconut
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups Hershey's mildly sweet dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 block of paraffin wax or 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Line baking sheets with wax paper.
- Mix coconut, sugar, and milk together in large bowl. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and wax or shortening in top of double boiler; stir until smooth. If using a microwave, cook on high for 1 minute and stir. Cook for one or two short intervals until chocolate is smooth.
- Dip coconut balls in chocolate. Return to baking sheet. Let set until firm, about 30 minutes. Store in airtight container.