I often buy fruits and vegetables in bulk from Costco then I’m left to figure how to eat them before they all go bad. Last week I bought a two-pound bag of brussels sprouts. While I do love them, I find it rather challenging to eat them daily. Tonight I made a chilled brussels sprouts dish with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and grated pecorino romano. It’s a great side, and I usually eat them before anything else on my plate.
Chilled Brussels Sprouts with Romano and Oil Recipe
- 1 pounds Brussels sprouts trimmed
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano Parmigiano Reggiano, or Manchego cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fit a medium pot with steamer insert; fill pot with water until it reaches the bottom of insert. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add Brussels sprouts and sprinkle with salt. Cover, and steam until Brussels sprouts are slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove Brussels sprouts from steamer; refrigerate until chilled through. Leave small Brussels sprouts whole; cut large Brussels sprouts in half. Toss with olive oil and cheese. Serve chilled.
Recipe NotesChill Brussels sprouts for about an hour before tossing with cheese and oil.