September kicks off the soup-stew-chowder-chili season at my house. It’s almost officially Fall, and cooler temperatures are upon us. (We ate this yesterday, and it was a mere 92° here in Orlando. Not exactly Fall weather, but we like to pretend we have four seasons here.)
My grandmother made her own dumplings, but the Bisquick® dumplings are quick and flawless. Sometimes during cold and flu season, we make a hearty pot of chicken and dumplings instead of the traditional chicken soup.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- ⅔ cup milk
- In a large pot, add chicken and enough water to cover plus 1-inch. Add salt, bring chicken to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover, and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from pot and cool completely. Reserve stock. Shred chicken from bone and return to stock. Drop in butter; Adjust salt and pepper. Increase heat until chicken stew begins to boil.
- Mix Bisquick® and milk until soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling chicken stew; reduce heat.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.