I love ice cream but can’t eat it very often because of the high dairy content. The solution is sorbet (sorbetto), since it needs no dairy. With a counter-top ice cream maker, making sorbet can be quite easy. It is really nothing more than a syrup made of fruit juice and sugar along with any other seasonings. Here the dominant flavor is that of sour cherries but the lime interacts nicely with it. Use cherry juice that has no added sweeteners.
The deep red color makes this a very attractive dessert.
- 3 cups sour cherry juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 ounces fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- Heat cherry juice in medium saucepan to a simmer.
- Add sugar, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Let cool and then refrigerate until cold.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- The sorbet will now be ready to eat but very soft. It's better to put in the freezer for about 2 hours to harden.