My grandmother made baked eggplant for as long as my dad can remember. She grew them in her garden on Duke Street. In the summer when the eggplants were ripe, she made baked eggplant or eggplant parmesan.
It works good too between two slices of fresh bread.
Baked Eggplant Recipe
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 1 medium size eggplant
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 clove finely minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14 ounces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Prepare the eggplant by cutting off each end, and then cut in half lengthwise. Do not peel the eggplant. Score the eggplant by cutting lengthwise, then across, but do not cut all the way through the eggplant.
2. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic. Using your fingers, push the seasoning into the knife openings.
3. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to baking dish. Put the eggplant in the baking pan, add the diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the prepared eggplants with olive oil. Bake in 375°F oven for 45 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving.
YIELD: 2 servings