Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate American comfort food. We serve it at large family gatherings and cookouts—it’s everyone’s favorite, especially the kids. Our recipe is quick and easy, and the key ingredient is good old fashion American cheese.
American Style Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 5 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 20 slices American cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt & pepper
- 2½ cups evaporated milk
- Bring 5 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a full boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain. Add macaroni and butter to pot; stir occasionally until butter is completely melted.
- In a 9x13-inch baking dish, add half the macaroni. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. Top with 10 slices of cheese, overlapping when necessary. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese. Pour evaporated milk over top of macaroni. Stir once or twice while baking. Add extra milk for a creamier consistency.
- Bake at 350°F until cheese is melted and milk is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes. Top should be lightly brown.