Here’s an easy and tasty Halloween recipe. Meatballs in sweet and sour sauce is a dish mom brings to all of the family gatherings. We dressed it up this year for Halloween. The small creepy alien hands (I picked them up at Halloween City) turn this simple meatball dish into a spooky delight.
It’s a simple dish, too. You can make your own meatballs and bake them in the oven, or you can pick up a bag of the pre-cooked frozen meatballs. If we have a lot do, we put the meatballs in a crockpot, and then we add the ingredients for the sauce. We can keep them warm until time to serve.
To serve the alien eggs: Partially fill a serving bowl (preferably one with a Halloween-theme) with meatballs and sauce. Place two or three small creepy hands in dish. Add a second layer of meatballs and sauce, then top with three or four of the plastic hands. Occasionally, I throw in a plastic eyeball or two just for the element of surprise.
The kids find Alien Eggs frightfully delicious, but they also go over well at adult Halloween parties.
- 4 pound bag pre-cooked meatballs, 1-inch in size
- 1 can pineapple chunks (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 small green pepper, cut in strips
- ¼ cup onion, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Small alien hands
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the syrup. Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add the pineapple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce, pineapple juice and salt to the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens. Add the pineapple, green pepper and onion. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until all ingredients are combined well.
- Add meatballs and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until meatballs are warm. Insert alien hands as desired.